Our family have been home educating in South Carolina since 2005.
THIRTEEN YEARS of my 18 year journey was right here in South Carolina!.
During this time I have been educated on the laws of homeschooling in South Carolina on a spectrum.
From erroneous information, from outdated information, to no information, to feeling totally loss to now well informed with a committment to pay it forward.
As an Option 3 Accountability Association director each year I believe that those families I am to help….I will do just that.
South Carolina is such a great state to home educate in specifically under Option 3 because there is so much freedom.
True, SC may not be as free in the laws of home school in comparison to some states but we are way better than a lot of stricter states.
Under Option 3 homeschooling law as long as you do the following you are good to go. ((cheese)) (meaning…..smile))
- possess a GED or higher. It doesn’t matter if you are from another country or not. A minimum of a GED is needed to home educate. It doesn’t matter if you speak another language and you educate your children in your mother tongue. Yes…that’s right.
- be the guardian or parent of the children in which you plan to home educate
- home school your children 180 days out of the 365 days in a year. You get to choose when that year begins. It ends once you reach 180 days. Then go ahead and start with your next homeschooling year. You can school Monday-Friday. Monday-Wed. Sat.-Thur. You get to choose. Just reach 180 days. You can school 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. 10 a.m. -2 p.m. 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. and anything in between.
- join an Option 3 accountability association with at least 50 members or more. Well, my association has way more than 50 families this current year. Last year I had right at 400 families. Not sure I’ll reach that number this year…..I don’t really care to. But I have way more than 50 and counting. The year is just getting started.
- educate in the five required subjects: math, science, social studies, reading, writing and in 7th-12th grade add literature and composition.
Oh….the law doesn’t say you must educate in these subjects every single day. Yay!!
- You the parent must maintain your child’s records. Keep a journal, dairy, or daily planner laying out what you did day to day, any activities or field trips taken.
- complete a bi-annually progress report. Usually mid the year and end of the year are great times to complete these. Oh…these are to be kept in your records.
- portfolio of a few samples of the children’s work
- keep/maintain an attendance record of actual days of home education. Oh…. did your child learn how to build a shed on Saturday but you all didn’t use a book? That’s an actual school day. DON’T NEGATE DAILY LIFE LEARNING as school days.
****NOTE: That some Option 3 accountability associations require over and above the basics of Option 3 laws. If you become a member with them keep in mind it’s their discretion to add more requirements for membership.
Read my parent handbook or FAQ’s here on the website to understand my basic requirements.
South Carolina truly is a wonderful state to home school your children.
My association is an excellent resource and legal entity to connect with to start homeschooling legally.
With my knowledge, skills, experience, wisdom, insights and care your journey will be just what you desire of it to be!
And with freedom! I’m not all in your ‘busi-ness.’ (((smile again!)))
I’d be delighted to help you get started and remain strong on the journey to helping your children thrive as human beings and in their academic studies!
(Be sure to share this post. You just never know who may be considering homeschooling or need to know this information.)
Angela Jordan Perry, is a wife of 26 years, homeschooling Mom of eight children, mentor, entrepreneur, host of Girlfriends’ Guide to Homeschooling show, podcast host of Girlfriends Chat, founder/Executive Director of Educating Our Own, founder/director of STEAM Co-Op of the Upstate, Mocha Homeschooling Moms-SC founder, owner/director/administrator of United Community of Homeschoolers Unlimited Option 3 Accountability Association, direct marketer, mad’am farmer, Toastmasters Competent Communicator recipient, racial injustice activist. Angela and her family make their homestead in Campobello, SC.